Sunday 17 June 2012

'Oh What a Little Lady"

Father's Day, I may as well be honest with you all, is an awkward day of the year for me. My dad died when I was 8 of cancer. Plus, my mum didn't re-marry until I was 15, so though, my step-dad was always there for me, I effectively did grow up without a dad.

So, being away from home, I phoned my mother and had her put some flowers on my dad's grave for me. And I gave all my love and attention to James' dad, that me and James spent part of the day with.
See James had the reverse situation to me, his mum died from an illness when he was 12, so he grew up with just his dad from then, who didn't re-marry. Talk about a ice-breaker on our first date.

Week took his dad to lunch, who we hadn't really seen since we visited him at Christmas. So we took him for a really fancy lunch at a really posh restaurant in the city. You know the kind you have to book like six months in advance. Well, we got a place on such a busy day due to James' best friend is the head chef here. Well, going into our specially reserved seats, I felt like a celebrity, though I'm not sure how many celebrities have a, current, job as a  maitre d' and a one day a week internship as a psychologist at a hospital - Maybe I'll make a first!

Any how, we had a Gorgeous three course meal, then James had some emergency at work , he's a vet. So he had to literally run off. Leaving me and Joseph (His Dad) to walk home, because of course he drove us there, then took off to work. Typical James. Then again, I can't blame him for a dog impaling himself or something.

So we had a lovely stroll home by the river, but of course we didn't escape the rain, like the rest of the country. It was really nice chatting to him, I couldn't believe in all the time I've been with James, I'd never talked to his dad alone. I told him about my dad and he told me about his wife. It was rather sweet. But who did we run into, of course, you know it, Kyle, he wasn't with the 'girlfriend' this time he was with someone else I'd recognised. Oh. no. The guy I'd cheated on him with! Yes, his name is Tom, I literally hadn't seen Tom in years. 
As soon as they saw me they obviously started on some stupid comments about me, ones, that as we got closer, because louder, and more embarrassing! By, this point, I was completely unraveling my life story to Joseph as fast as I could and he got really mad.
I was actually sure he was going to phone James and tell him to dump me on the spot, but he didn't. He went over to Kyle and Tom and told them 'shove all their comments where the sun don't shine' (Yes, in those words, he is literally the sweetest man ever!) And told them if they spoke about me again that way, he'd certainly show them a thing or two about what 'getting back at someone' meant!

When we got home, he told me not to worry about telling James about the day, that we say we just had a nice, rainy, stroll home. 

When James got home he had a present for his dad. He didn't have an 'emergency' at work, he just desperately wanted to get his dad something to occupy his time - eg, a puppy!
Which, Miko didn't like in the slightest, and was quite happy when they got in the car to go home.
He got him a cocker spaniel puppy, and Joseph let me name her. So I looked on my DVD shelf where I always get the best ideas, and I got to the Lady and the Tramp, which meant it was fate. Her name was Lady!
James thought his dad needed a new woman in his life. 
Ask a vet, their answer is always an Animal!

No comments:

Post a Comment